Butterfly pea vine is part of the Clitoria genus and its scientific name is Clitoria ternatea. The ternatea part of this plant's botanical name means 'set in threes'.
A perennial herbaceous plant, with elliptic, obtuse leaves. It grows as a vine or creeper, doing well in moist, neutral soil. The most striking feature about this plant are its vivid deep blue flowers; solitary, with light yellow markings. They are about 4 cm long by 3 cm wide. There are some varieties that yield white flowers.
- Full Sun
- Sun to Partial Shade
- Medium Blue
- Dark Blue
- Mid Summer
- Late Summer/Early Fall
- This plant is attractive to bees, butterflies and/or birds
- Average Water Needs; Water regularly; do not overwater
Soil pH requirements:
- 6.6 to 7.5 (neutral)
- From seed; sow indoors before last frost
- From seed; direct sow after last frost
- Scarify seed before sowing
- Allow pods to dry on plant; break open to collect seeds