Bacopa Monnieri - Neer Brahmi
Bacopa monnieri is a very popular herb in India for longevity and mental function. It is used to decrease fatigue and depression, and to stimulate the sex drive. It energizes the central nervous system, and aids the circulatory system, soothes and minimizes varicose veins and helps to minimize scarring. It is also useful in repairing skin and connective tissues and smoothing out cellulite. It is generally considered an Ayurvedic "age tonic" restoring youth and vitality.
Brahmi has been used by Ayurveda in India for almost 3000 years. The Ayurvedic treatise, the Charaka Samhita (100 A.D.), recommends Brahmi in formulations for a range of mental conditions including anxiety, poor cognition and lack of concentration. In India, Brahmi is currently recognized as being effective in the treatment of mental illness and epilepsy.
- An annual creeping plant found throughout India in wet, damp and marshy areas.
- Chemical composition / key active constituents
- The herb contains the alkaloids brahmine, herpestine, and a mixture of three bases. It also contains the saponins, monnierin ; hersaponin, bacoside A and bacoside B. Other constituents present in the plant are D-mannitol, betulic acid, ß- sitosterol, stigmasterol and its esters, heptacosane, octacosane, nonacosane, triacontane, hentriacontane, dotriacontane, nicotine, 3-formyl-4-hydroxy-2H-pyran, luteolin and its 7-glucoside. The presence of a-alamine, aspartic acid, glutamic acid and serine is also reported.
Alcoholic extract increases the learning performance of rats and the activity is attributed to saponin mixture consisting of bacosides A,B & other saponins. Other pharmacological effects of the extracts include sedative, antiepileptic, cardiotonic, vasoconstrictor and anti-inflammatory activities.
- It is used in indigenous systems of medicine for the treatment of asthma, hoarseness, insanity, epilepsy and as a potent nerve tonic; cardio tonic and diuretic. The leaves are also useful as a diuretic and aperient.
- Brain and Nervous System Conditions
- Brain tonic, Epilepsy, Headaches, Insanity, Improves memory, improves mental capacities, such as concentration and learning, Nerve tonic, Nervous breakdown, Nervous deficit due to injury and stroke Nervous exhaustion.